I was shown a set of plans and asked if I could make what I saw there. The plans were for a laundry sorter that would hold 3 laundry hampers to allow easy separation of the the laundry prior to wash day.
The plans were based around 1 size of a hamper. By the time new hampers were bought at the store, things started to change.
The new hampers were wider that what was originally thought. So the sorting unit had to grow. What was originally planned for the top had to change. What was going to be a single piece of wood, would no longer be big enough. I opted to make something completely different so I bought some new router bits. The plywood for the top was big enough square inch size-wise but simply wasn’t long enough. I cut the plywood into 4-inch strips and used these router bits to fit them together.
This is what the top looked like after it was complete.
When all complete, the unit had a nice gray, aged or even distressed look to it.
I used a bunch of good quality furniture grade plywood. Some of the straightest 2×4’s I could find. I also used some 1×3 firring strips and more quality 1×3 boards to do the trim on the doors. The trim on the doors is a story all by itself, but it was all hand cut. The handle pulls are an oiled brass finish, the stain is classic gray, and the finish is satin. Chains were also included on the pull outs to keep them from falling. With the lumber, lacquer, stain and other materials, this unit sold for $525.
You can see more on Facebook here Laundry Sorter